Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Our little guest...



Here is an up-date on our little bird (Winston, Rabbie, or Ang-mu-sae). We found him in our alley just over a week ago. I was trimming some weeds and I skimmed right over him, missing him by a fraction of an inch. His wing was cut and bleeding. We think that he was pecked by the other birds in our yard (we have one big mean black bird that attacks us when we go out). I moved him inside, much to Carrie’s dismay. He(?) spent the first few days in a make-shift cage in our back room, until we were able to move him to a more suitable home. I spent my time calming down Carrie, then the bird, then Carrie, etc…. Carrie is doing great and the bird’s wing has healed and he can fly again. He is still scared of us. Animal control euthanizes most birds and the pet stores in town will not take him, so, for the time being, he is with us. The good news is that Carrie (dare I say it) is starting to like our little friend. We are hoping that he starts to warm up to us soon. How long does it usually take? We are willing to accept suggestions on names, Winston Churchill is the current front runner (even though I had an annoying student named Winston last semester), followed by Grandpa’s favorite Scottish author, Rabbie (Robert) Burns, and Ang-mu-sae, which is the Korean name for parakeet and the nick-name of Sister Choi’s youngest daughter (I taught Sister Choi on my mission). Let us know what you think. So Mom, there is your up-date. While you guys are gallivanting around the orient, we are doing our best to thwart natural selection and are making every effort to make our little guest comfortable. Be safe and have fun on the rest of your trip.

3 comments:

Jared said...

He should begin to warm up to you with in a week now, maybe two becasue he would have been so afraid of the noise, the black bird, ect. when you found him. He looks like a guy in pic #2, but they can actually change as far as a year into their life. He looks great though!! I can't wait to visit him. Winston sounds like a good name, try replacing in you mind, they guy from last years class with the bird!

Chelsea said...

Umm... actually I think it looks like a girl. Winston is alright... I like petewee the best though. It's always been a personal favorite

Jacob said...

Chelsea is out-voted!